Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Chocolate Spice Biscotti

Hi. This is me trying to take pictures of my food. I'm not the best photographer, but hopefully this at least will give you an idea of what the food looks like when I make it.

I am in love with fall and any cool weather makes me want to make fall dishes. I am so excited for this season which is now upon us. Therefore, I am going to post some recipes that will make me happy because they are fall-like.

These biscotti are super good in my opinion. They take a little bit to make, so you'll need a little bit of time. They're not hard, they just have multiple steps. I freeze my extra pieces and continue to love on them for a few months. They're good fresh or right out of the freezer.

Chocolate Spice Biscotti

1 c. all-purpose flour

1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/3 c. toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped

3 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder

1 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. ground cloves

1/8 tsp. salt

3/4 c. sugar

2 eggs, room temperature *

1/2 tsp vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 300. Mix flour, chocolate chips, walnuts, cocoa powder, backing powder, cloves and salt.

2. In a separate bowl mix sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat on high speed with electric mixer for about 10 minutes or until very light and thick. Fold flour mixture into egg mixture until well blended. (Dough will be soft) Shape dough on parchment paper; sprinkle evently with 1 Tbs of sugar. Bake 30 - 35 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove from oven; cool completely (about an hour).

3. Return oven temp to 300. Slice logs on a diagonal into 1/4 inch thick slices. Place slices, cut side down, on bar pan. Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven; cool completely.

Yield: about 3 dozen

Nutrition info: Serving size is 3 biscotti; Calories 160; Total Fat 5 g; Cholesterol 35 g; Carbohydrate 27 g; Protein 3 g; Sodium 55 mg; Fiber 1 g

*The reason the eggs should be room temp is so that they give good volume. You can quickly get them to room temp by placing them in a bowl of warm water for 10 minutes

No comments: